A Thorough Guide To Reduce Ignorance- How To Open Up Your Mind To Novel Opinions
Ignorance is a personality like a virus in the body, encouraging people around you to keep you at an arm’s lengths. Individuals with ignorant behaviour hold a myopic vision which prevents them from growing as a human being.
This negative personality trait closes off the mind from accepting any different ideas and obstructs the individual from stepping out of their comfort zone. As a result, the individual becomes frightened to take risks.
Ignorance is a secondary reaction to internal feelings of insecurity. When you feel insecure or threatened, you use the defence mechanism of rationalisation to resolve the feelings of insecurity. Rationalisation occurs when you create reasons (both rational and irrational) to justify your behaviours. As a result, you close off your mind to new opinions. Concurrent repetition of this can turn your irrational beliefs concrete.
An example of this can be viewed by the recent case of a father residing in the UK. The man took a complaint regarding the step-daughters school to social media to express his disgust about a particular project. The task required the students to write a letter to their parents to enumerate on reasons why they are converting to Islam.
However, the father suffered an immediate backlash when his opinions were perceived as prejudiced and Islamophobic. Despite facing this backlash, he stated,
“My stepdaughter is coming home talking about the Prophet Muhammad and halal meat saying Islam is the religion of peace, but if she watched the news and knew about all the atrocities Islam has caused all over the world, she would know it isn’t the religion of peace at all.”
This form of thinking shows that albeit knowing the religion, the man chose to be ignorant and only wished to see one side of the story.
Reflecting on the example, it can be seen that individuals who choose to remain ignorant can be perceived as close-minded and intellectually deficient.
As a result, you need to take active measures to open up your mind. The following stresses on the initiatives you can take to be less ignorant:
• Your ignorance hurt people: Ignorance holds the ability to harm people. When you are in an egocentric frame of mind, where you fail to view things from anyone else’s perspective, you hold power to hurt people.
This range of individuals can include strangers, loved ones and even your friends and family. Often, the opinions you form can earn you resentment from your loved ones. Hence, your ignorance can risk harming your close relationships.
Keeping this fact in mind, you can push yourself to be open towards the opinions of others. Even if you do not agree with them, make active efforts to not speak against them in a hateful tone.
• Consider seeing things with other people’s point of views: Walking a mile in someone else’s shoes, is the best way to gain empathy. When you see the struggles faced by the people you hate, you can see yourself being more positive.
To do this, you can take an issue which your loved ones say you’re ignorant about, and work to change it. Taking the example of the case above, you can try to educate yourself about the Muslim culture and form friendships with individuals following the religion of Islam. When you interact with them on a personal level, you will begin to see them as humans in contrast to radical terrorists.
• Ignorance only breeds hatred: When ignorance is present, love is absent. Consequently, when you prevent yourself from learning about what you do not understand, you are more likely to develop feelings of hatred towards it.
Even if you consider yourself to be the right person, that one per cent of hate within you can turn you into exactly what you feared to be. Often, ignorance is so deeply rooted in people that they fail to recognise it, or worse, see anything wrong with it. Once you accept this, you can move forward as a person.
• Introspect vividly: As mentioned earlier, insecurity is one of the root causes of ignorant thinking. To get rid of uncertainty, you have to introspect deeply. Ask yourself
o Why do you refuse to educate yourself on a particular matter?
o Why do you strongly dislike a particular group of individuals?
o Why do you see yourself as a superior being?
o If the evidence against your belief is shown, would that change your mind?
When asking yourself these questions, it is essential to remain honest with yourself and consciously identify flawed thinking.
• Embrace new truths: Choosing to be less ignorant means that you should learn to embrace the new reality, this does not mean that you let go of your own believes, instead you are required to inspect the issue from all perspectives and make a rational choice.
• Learn to accept criticism: It has been said a thousand times, but change does begin from within. Hence, you are required to teach yourself the art of receiving and taking constructive criticism without getting defensive. Once you learn to recognise and acknowledge your flaws, you can conquer anything!
• Consider taking therapy: There is a stigma attached to taking therapy from a professional psychologist. Therapy and counselling do not only cater to the needs of intellectually challenged individuals. Instead, therapy can help you become the best version of yourself.
So, consider taking therapy and ask assistance from a best dissertation help services to do your assignments. You inform the professionals about the struggles you are facing and allow them to do their magic. In the end, you leave the place happy, content and feeling a sense of calmness. However, therapy and counselling will only work if you are ready to make changes in your daily life.
Ignorant thinking can break your relationships, make you feel frustrated, angry and develop unhealthy coping mechanisms. By applying the other techniques, you can reduce your ignorance and become an enlightened, open-minded individual.